Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Note to Beasts Open Call Artists.

There was an unexpected turnout for the open call slot in Beasts Book Two. I'm excited to see that so many people are interested in the book and took the time to make work to send in. There are over 200 submissions, making it unfeasible to post all the contributions and I'm unsure I can even cull all the addresses to return emails to everyone (for which I apologize). I really appreciate your time and I'll be enlisting the help of my beloved colleagues here at the Fantagraphics offices to decide on one piece to run in the book.

The submitted work is wildly diverse in both artistic styles and in the beast illustrated.* I'm especially pleased to see so many unpublished artists responded, giving me the chance to see a lot of work I won't otherwise come across. I will contact the chosen artist and post a few of the office favorites on the blog sometime next week. (We're in the midst of catalog solicitations and I'm neck deep in freelance work and preparing for fatherhood...)

THANKS EVERYBODY!

*I'm not sure which was most popular but it may well be one of the more obscure contemporary creatures, The Maryland Goatman. Surprisingly, there were five or six of these, while classics such as the chimera had only two depictions. I don't think the almighty Pegasus even got touched.

13 Comments:

Blogger david j hoskins said...

I was surprised that Goatman wasn't in the first book. Even more surprised that I wasn't the only one who submitted a Goatman piece.

I hope you post a few of the submissions soon.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice Goatman! I did a Lizardman myself.

Am looking forward to seeing some of the other submissions!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself did the Pope Lick Monster, which is also a Goatman. Congrats on the new baby, My wife thought she was going into labor when I was finishing my piece. That's no joke but, it was just a false alarm.
Thanks,
Lance

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed, and can't wait to see some of the other work submitted.

1:40 PM  
Blogger michaeljpatrick said...

Maybe there are enough submissions for a third book?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i drew a cthulu for my submission, thatd be great to see all the submitted work on this blog

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any clue as to when a winner will be announced?

9:55 AM  
Blogger ladrones ink said...

perhaps as as thank you for this open submissions one of us could start a flickr group for people to post what they submitted?

just so we all see what we were up agianst?

*shotgun not me

12:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a good idea!
Never done flickr before....
People could email a jpg of a certain size and someone could post them on a blog or something....

10:07 AM  
Blogger michaeljpatrick said...

Flickr would be the easiest way. I'll go start the group and then all you have to do is join and upload your photos. That's a lot easier than coordinating a bunch of emails.

5:24 PM  
Blogger michaeljpatrick said...

Here it is! Pleas come and join!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Jason Giglio said...

Sounds good, I'll take a look!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Buitrón said...

I´m out of nails!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home